Here are this week's philosophy sessions
IF YOU WERE TO FIND A WISHING TREE - WHAT WOULD YOU WISH FOR... AND WHY?
- a moon. Because it is dark.
- I would wish for a princess that had glass shoes and flowers. Because I want to be beautiful.
- Gröna Lund. Because I like Gröna Lund (the funfair in Stockholm)
- I would wish for a princess in high heels, lipstick and a dress. Because I like make-up
- I would wish for a princess with a long dress. I like make-up and lipstick and jewellery and long hair down to my bottom and I like long dresses.
- I would wish for a cat... that I would buy. A kitten - and an elephant too, and a dog and a tiger and an elephant and a... because I want to hold them and have hair down to my bottom and a girl with a frog in her pocket and an elephant - and up in the sky and up on my head...
- er..er...er e rat. Because I like it (what would you do with the rat?) play with it.
- truck. Because I like it. I would play with it.
- a moon. Because I like it.
- I would... if I found it... I would call you... I would wish that everyone got wings and could fly to xxx- And ask how is everything and ask how she is. Ask if she can say English now and if she has got the song we are going to send.
- WHAT DOES A WISHING TREE LOOK LIKE?
- it does not have leaves and it can talk. They have branches but no leaves - and they don't have normal leaves - but magical leaves that can open fairy doors.
- pink and yellow and green
- a wishing tree look like my nail varnish (dark pink)
- it looks like - pink, yellow, black and green
- it looks like... like.... like... I think that it looks like a white colour
- it looks like Muck. It has branches and Muck in the tree and Scoop and they are high up in the tree
- Do you mean like a Christmas tree with small figures hanging from the tree? Small figures of Muck and Scoop
- (nodding with a big smile?)
WHAT DO YOU THINK A FAIRY IS?
- it is actually like this... they are actually a boy and a girl. They can have dresses. And fairies can talk and there are real fairies.
- fairies usually always dance
- a...a...a.. fairy has a dress and lipstick and high heels
- a boy
- I beleive that they are... are a boy. They are like me. (are you a fairy) No (does a fairy have something that you do not have?) - don't know
- mmm, they have small shoes and they look like... they also have wings that we do not have... almost like us, but they are older. And xxx is going to meet them in USA - and we are going to take pictures.
- IF FAIRIES ARE SMALL AND SOMETHING LIKE US THEN WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PERSON AND A FAIRY?
- ARE YOU A FAIRY IF YOU HAVE WINGS?
- but you need fairy dust too - in the hand - and you take it up from the moon and then we see better and then we can come through the door.
- I can fly then - and if you get sticky hands then you can open the door
- I am thinking of... fairies look like a girls with a Hello Kitty top like me... and trousers like me..
- ARE YOU A FAIRY?
- yes, I am a fairy - a hello kitty fairy
- HOW CAN I BECOME A FAIRY?
- Suzanne will be this big (stretches out arms) and then hokuspokus - and you will be a fairy - I will "trolla" (perform magic) one must breath out and trolla trolla trolla troll and you will become a fairy
- I am also a fairy. I magic myself into a fairy
- I have thought a little - I have an idea for everyone here - how can we be small for real? How can we get there? They are so far away. How are we going to become fairies?
- we take the underground train to the fairies
- WE WILL SAVE DDD QUESTION - IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN DOWN
- we could have a philosphical discussion out in the forest while we wait for the fairies...
As you see the discussions have really started to evolve - the children's answers are getting longer - they are starting t use terms like "I think" "idea" "I have had a thought" and "philosophical discussion" - they have also started to ask questions. This feel very exciting - and I am looking forward to next week when we can ask those questions asked by one of the children at the end of Wednesday's session.
AND how will the fairy party tomorrow influence (if at all) their answers.
AND we have some new fairies at preschool - and I presented a theory that while there were no children at preschool they were alive and played and moved around. So they wanted to test the theory - the fairy dolls were put in a plastic box -
this morning one of the children came excitedly to me showing the empty box - what did this mean? They must come alive. Where have they gone? I don't know.
Half way through circle time the fairies were spotted up on high on another shelf - and they looked like they were playing hide and seek... they children started thinking about how they got up there and how they were going to get through the door that was just the right size.
The dolls have been moved again at the end of the day... let's see if they notice that again...