Pages

Sunday 2 February 2014

log books

After an inspiring week listening to others share their experiences of philosophy with children I have thought of putting one of the ideas to the test... Beate Børresen recommended log books for each of the children.

So now I am going to have a go... not in the exact way that was suggested, just a little adapted but keeping the essentials of documenting the children's ideas in context of the group.

I am fortunate because Beate is just an e-mail away, even if she is in Oslo... so that I can bounce ideas with her at the same time as getting feedback I can share what we are doing... as this is with children a little younger than what she usually does log books with... so it is an experiment for sure.

My biggest concern going into it is - do I have enough time to do this? I am hoping that the children will be so motivated by their log books that they will sit with me as I fill in their words and ideas together with images - photos etc of the project.

The log books will be project based rather than philosophy based - but more than that I cannot say... as I think that these log books will develop together with me and the children...

Tomorrow we start with the maps that the children have been drawing with their parents (linking preschool with home) - the maps show the way to their home from preschool - or the way to preschool from their home... depending on your perspective...

Tomorrow we will work with two of the maps... the two that lead to more or less the same place... and the children will work in two groups and build their map with blocks and use wool/thread to mark the route they take - they will then look at each other's contructions and compare with the maps... There will be lots of teacher support... as what we aim to do is share the skill of designing... from working from a 2D design to a 3D design so that when it comes to designing their own square later in the term, they will have the tools to do that...


So a bit excited and a bit nervous all at the same time...


No comments:

Post a Comment