Pages

Friday 4 April 2014

Photographs... they all tell a story... some several...

This month, if you haven't already noticed I am sharing photographs everyday on my facebook page (and trying to link them up, when I remember, on twitter - Suzanne Axelsson).

This is today's photograph.

Two children who found the noise and busy-ness of a song session at the local library were able to support each other by holding hands. They were both close to me, so they could sense that security, but I did not keep them on my knee, but allowed them to experience the session their way. 

I felt empowered by the way they managed this situation. I wonder how they felt...

It was also a wonderful opportunity for us as teachers to see just how far we had come with this group of children... able to deal with the sensory input, participate - and deal with the children from other grouos who were not managing the sensory overload or getting the support from the adults around them.

It is seldom I feel outraged by how other children are being treated in my immediate surroundings... but this time it was enough that I actually ended up saying something to the adults responsible...
The children in the other group were reacting to the sensory overload by not being able to control their impulses - and instead of being close to the children they allowed them total freedom time and time again, only to be harshly reprimanded time and time again... talk about negative attention...

We have listened to our children... we knew which ones we needed to be close to... and the reasons why... being frightened, being over-stimulated, not being able to understand... so that we could offer the right support so that the experience was positive for all the children.

This was the first time I have ever approached another preschool group in this manner as there were just so many children needing more support than they were receiving... that they have the right to.

I think really this photo not only symbolises the power of children... but for me the power that we have has teachers over the children we work with... and how we need to respect that power.

As Pippi Longstocking says - "If you are strong you need to be very kind"

These are words I here at least once a week... as we listen to "Do you Know Pippi Longstocking" By Astrid Lindgren. (in Swedish of course) - But they always remind me of my role, of my strength and the responsibility I have in applying that strength (physical, stregnth of knowledge etc) so that it benefits all of us...

Things to think about on a Friday...

No comments:

Post a Comment