Pages

Thursday 25 February 2016

Discovering a city

As the film has been developing a need for  a background has arisen... and instead of doing a random background the opportunity to explore our city has come up..

We googled building in Stockholm and the children chose the building that most strick a chord with them... some have chosen modern, others have chosen historical... I have learned about buildings I did not know existed in Stockholm. On Thursdays we are exploring Stockholm to find out buildings...

Last week we travelled for 45 minutes to west Stockholm to vist Vällingby shopping centre... as one of the buildings had been chosen by the children...

This week we visted Riddarkyrkan (The Knight's Church - the oldest church in Stockholm) and Waterfront - a very modern building. As we are doing a Leonardo Da Vinci project i related the church age to Leonardo... that the church was 200 years older than Leonardo... that really surpised the children... an 800 yr old church right in front of us. (Of course I personally come from a much older city where 800 years is nothing - my city had been in action for a 1,000 yrs before that.. I come from York, and as you read, fiercely proud of my history).
The children connected to their history... just as I have connected to mine.

We then played at the City Hall - as they have a garden on the water front. There is nothing there except for pathways and statues - and tourists who want to take photos of preschoolers on excursions... (for real I had to tel several no, its not OK to take photographs of the children... the ones I share here I blur out the faces!!!

As we left the City Hall the children exclaimed... we NEED to come back to this playground again. I loved the fact that the children were so happy playing heree... in the garden where Swedish politicians work... seemed so appropriate somehow... hope it reminded them of what they need to accomplish... as the children played and laughed... I know the security guard kept trying to hide his smiles...

We took the boat back... after all Stockholm is made of many islands... so if we are to explore our city we need to explore the water too....


No comments:

Post a Comment